Bongbong Marcos camp says DQ petitions are just “cheap political gimmicks”
MANILA, Philippines – The camp of former presidential contender Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Thursday rejected petitions to disqualify him (DQ) from the 2022 presidential race as “good political gimmicks” Marlet”.
Marcos spokesman Vic Rodriguez released the statement in light of a new petition filed with the Electoral Commission (Comelec) opposing the candidacy of the son and namesake of former dictator Ferdinand Marcos.
So far, three requests to disqualify Marcos from the presidential race have been lodged with the electoral body.
“These are cheap political gimmicks from the same people who don’t want the country to go ahead and come out of the pandemic,” Rodriguez said in a statement.
“They refuse to elevate the political discourse and instead resort to dirty campaigns, personality assassination and defamation,” he added.
Rodriguez pointed out that Comelec has no jurisdiction to “review, amend, modify or annul the decisions of the Appeal Board (CA).
The new petition, like the first two, claimed that Marcos’ 1997 conviction by the CA for failing to file 1982-1985 tax returns was a clear reason for excluding him from running for public office. They also claimed that Marcos made a “material misrepresentation” in his Certificate of Nomination (COC) claiming he was eligible to run.
“Elections are fought and won on polling day thanks to ballots. And polls or polls of voters are the gauge of the position of candidates and a guide to win the electorate, ”he added.
A group of activists, the Campaign Against the Return of the Marcos and Martial Law (Carmma), whose members were imprisoned during martial law, petitioned Comelec to disqualify Marcos on the grounds that ‘He was banned from running for public office for life due to his conviction for tax evasion.
The group warns that allowing Marcos to run “would make any unclaimed human rights redress difficult, if not impossible, to reclaim much of the ill-gotten wealth looted by the Marcos and their cronies during dictator Marcos’ years in power. Sr.
Bongbng Marcos’ candidacy “could also lead to a whitewashing and further proliferation of historic revisionism, gravely inhuman abuses and extremely gravely corruption committed during the Marcos dictatorship,” they added.
Comelec is expected to hear the first petition to quash Marcos Jr.’s COC on November 26.
The first petition was filed on November 2 by activist groups who claim Marcos made a “material misrepresentation” in his COC claiming he was eligible to run when in fact he had been convicted. of tax offenses in 1995, which prevented him from voting. or to seek a public office.
Marcos has five days from receiving the summons to formally respond to the petitions, Comelec said.
On November 12, Comelec said it had already issued summons for the claims against Marcos Jr.
Marcos was convicted by the Quezon City Regional Magistrates’ Court in 1995 for failing to file income tax returns and pay income taxes from 1982 to 1985 while he was governor of Ilocos Norte during the law martial from his father.
The Court of Appeal upheld the conviction and fines imposed by the lower court in 1997, but removed the seven-year prison sentence.
The conviction became final after Marcos withdrew his appeal to the Supreme Court in 2001.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 other titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download from 4 a.m. and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.